What to Know
When you need care, you have in-person and virtual options. In-person care includes care within California and when you’re traveling outside of California and internationally.
When you’re working or traveling outside of California, you’re covered through the BlueCard® Program (within the U.S.) or through Blue Cross Blue Shield Global Core (outside the U.S.).
If You’re Within California
- All plan members can receive care at a UC Health Center.
- Anthem PPO plan members can receive care from an Anthem PPO provider.
- Anthem HMO plan members (UCSF, UCSD, UCR only) can receive care from an Anthem HMO provider. Anthem HMO members must choose an Anthem primary care physician (PCP) to coordinate their care.
If you need help, log in to Anthem.com/ca or call toll-free (833) 674-9256, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. For behavioral health support, call the Anthem Behavioral Resource Center at (844) 792-5141
If You’re Outside of California but Within the U.S.
When you’re working or traveling outside of California, you’re covered through the BlueCard® Program (within the U.S.).
- Anthem PPO members: You’re covered for emergency and non-emergency care.
- Anthem HMO members (UCSF, UCSD, UCR only): You’re covered for urgent and emergency care only.
The BlueCard Program gives you access to care across the United States. You can see most types of in-network providers without a referral. However, some specialists — as well as certain treatments and procedures — may require a referral or prior authorization before your first visit.
BlueCard includes 92% of U.S. doctors and 96% of U.S. hospitals. You are not required to use a BlueCard provider; however, you’ll pay less when you do, because services received from BlueCard providers are reimbursed at the in-network level.
To find a BlueCard provider, call (800) 810-BLUE or go to anthem.com/ca, and select Find a Doctor.
How It Works
Anthem PPO members: You must first meet your plan’s deductible ($100 for individual / $200 for family coverage). Then the plan pays the same percentage of the cost for covered services as if you were at home.
Anthem HMO members: You pay a $10 copayment for urgent care visits and a $100 copayment for the emergency room. No other services are covered.
There is no charge for preventive care under either plan.
If you seek out-of-network care, you’ll need to submit a claim, and you’ll pay a higher deductible and a greater share of the costs.
If You’re International
When you’re working or traveling internationally, you’re covered through Blue Cross Blue Shield Global Core (outside the U.S.).
- Anthem PPO members: When you live or travel abroad, you have access to providers — for emergency and non-emergency care. You pay 10% of the cost of covered medical services after you meet the deductible ($100 for individual / $200 for family coverage).
- Anthem HMO members:When you travel abroad, you have access to providers for emergency and urgent care. You pay a $10 copayment for urgent care visits and a $100 copayment for emergency room.
- Medications: You pay a copayment for each prescription you fill, after you meet the deductible. Be prepared — a foreign provider or pharmacy may require you to pay the full cost upfront. If so, keep your receipts, and submit a claim for reimbursement once you return home.
For non-emergency medical care outside the U.S., first call the Blue Cross Blue Shield Global Core Service Center. They’ll connect you to appropriate care near you and request any needed approvals from Anthem. Global Core will also request a Guarantee of Payment with the provider so that you’ll only be responsible for your deductible and coinsurance. If you skip this step, the provider may require you to pay upfront for the services you receive. If so, you should request and keep a copy of the bill that includes an itemized list of the services you received along with the charges for each service. You can then file a claim with Anthem for reimbursement.
In an emergency, go straight to the nearest hospital, and have the provider or a traveling companion contact the Blue Cross Blue Shield Global Core Service Center on your behalf as soon as possible. Be aware that the provider may require you to pay upfront for services you receive. If so, you should request and keep a copy of the bill that includes an itemized list of the services you received along with the charges for each service. You can then file a claim with Anthem for reimbursement.
The Blue Cross Blue Shield Global Core Service Center is available 24/7 at +1 (804) 673-1177, and accepts collect calls.
For more information, see the Global Core program brochure [PDF], go to the Blue Cross Blue Shield Global Core website (the three-letter prefix is QUC), or call Blue Cross Blue Shield Global Core at (800) 810-BLUE (810-2583).
Anthem PPO and HMO plan members can take advantage of virtual care services that let you access medical care on your schedule — in the comfort and convenience of your own home — through LiveHealth Online. Book appointments online with board-certified clinicians who can recommend treatment and even write prescriptions. (Virtual care is available only in the U.S.)
The Doctor Will See You Now
Log in to LiveHealth Online, and click Sign Up to get started.
Talk to a Doctor Anytime, Anywhere
Cough, sniffles, fever, rash or emotional issues. It’s not an emergency, but you’re feeling lousy and would really like to talk to a doctor about your symptoms. But it’s 2 a.m. No problem. Board-certified LiveHealth Online doctors and psychiatrists can diagnose, recommend and prescribe medication for many common non-emergency medical and behavioral health issues. Doctors are available 24/7 all year long. And you don’t have to wait in a crowded emergency room or urgent care center.
Why Use LiveHealth Online?
LiveHealth Online can provide care:
- After normal office hours
- When your primary care physician or pediatrician isn’t available
- When you are considering the ER or urgent care for non-emergency medical issues
- When you have limited access to emergency or urgent care because you are in a rural area
What Does It Cost?
Anthem PPO members pay $15 per visit, and Anthem HMO members pay $10 per visit.
Using LiveHealth Online
LiveHealth Online and LiveHealth Online Psychology are available only through video — either on your desktop or laptop computer, tablet, Android or iOS mobile device.
- Log in to LiveHealth Online.
- Click the LiveHealth Online link on the homepage.
- On your first visit, set up your account.
- Search for a doctor in your area.
- Fill out information about yourself and your health issue.
- Pay for services online using your FSA debit card or a credit card.
If you need help, call the Customer Support Call Center toll-free at (855) 603-7985.
Download the app from Google Play™ or the App Store℠, and follow the instructions to access LiveHealth Online through your mobile device. To support two-way video visits, your device must have a front-facing camera. LiveHealth Online is not currently available via the web browser on your mobile device.
You must access LiveHealth Online or LiveHealth Online Psychology from a computer with a webcam or built-in camera. You will also need:
- High-speed internet access
- Audio capability
- The correct internet browser (Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft, Internet Explorer, and Safari)
Provider Contact Information
Graduate Medical Education Office
LiveHealth Online (virtual care)