- All plan members: At a UC Medical Center.
- PPO plan members: From an Anthem PPO provider.
- HMO plan members: From an Anthem HMO provider. Anthem HMO members must choose an Anthem primary care physician (PCP) to coordinate your care.
If you need help, log in to Anthem.com/ca or call toll-free (833) 674-9256, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. (Pacific). For behavioral health support, call the Anthem Behavioral Resource Center at (844) 792-5141.
Outside of California and International
When you’re working or traveling outside of California, you’re covered through the BlueCard® Program (within the U.S.) and Blue Cross Blue Shield Global Core (outside the U.S.).
The BlueCard Program gives you access to care across the United States. BlueCard includes 92% of U.S. doctors and 96% of U.S. hospitals. You are not required to use a BlueCard provider; however, you’ll pay less when you do because services received from BlueCard providers are reimbursed at the in-network level of coverage.
Outside of CA (in the U.S.)
Anthem HMO: You’re covered for urgent and emergency care only.
Anthem PPO: You’re covered for emergency and non-emergency care.
How It Works
Anthem HMO: You pay a $10 copayment for urgent care visits and a $100 copayment for the emergency room. No other services are covered.
Anthem PPO: You must first meet your plan’s deductible. Then the plan pays the same percentage of the cost for covered services as if you were at home.
- There is no charge for preventive care.
- You can see most types of in-network providers without a referral. However, some specialists—as well as certain treatments and procedures—may require a referral or prior authorization before your first visit. Learn more.
- If you seek out-of-network care, you’ll need to submit a claim, and you’ll pay a higher deductible and a greater share of the costs.
With BlueCard, you can:
- Access care across the U.S.
- Go to most types of providers without a referral.
- Use a BlueCard provider to keep your costs down (but doing so is not required).
- To find a BlueCard provider, call (800) 810-BLUE or go to anthem.com/ca, and select Find a Doctor.
Outside the U.S.
HMO members: When you travel abroad, you have access to providers for emergency and urgent care through Blue Cross Blue Shield Global Core. You pay a $10 copayment for urgent care visits and a $100 copayment for emergency room.
PPO members: When you live or travel abroad, you have access to providers—for emergency and non-emergency care—through Blue Cross Blue Shield Global Core. You pay 10% of the cost of covered medical services after you meet the deductible.
What you pay for medications: Medications are covered in full, after you meet the deductible and copayment. Be prepared—a foreign provider or pharmacy may require you to pay the full cost up-front. If so, keep your receipts and submit a claim for reimbursement once you return home.
For non-emergency medical care outside the U.S., first call the Blue Cross Blue Shield Global Core Service Center. They’ll connect you to appropriate care near you and request any needed approvals from Anthem. Global Core will also request a Guarantee of Payment with the provider so that you’ll only be responsible for your deductible and coinsurance. If you skip this step, the provider may require you to pay up-front for the services you receive. If so, you should request and keep a copy of the bill that includes an itemized list of the services you received along with the charges for each service. You can then file a claim with Anthem for reimbursement.
In an emergency, go straight to the nearest hospital and have the provider or a traveling companion contact the Blue Cross Blue Shield Global Core Service Center on your behalf as soon as possible. Be aware that the provider may require you to pay up-front for services you receive. If so, you should request and keep a copy of the bill that includes an itemized list of the services you received along with the charges for each service. You can then file a claim with Anthem for reimbursement.
The Blue Shield Global Core Service Center service center is available 24/7 at +1 (804) 673-1177, and accepts collect calls.
For more information, see the Global Core program brochure, go to the Blue Cross Blue Shield Global Core website (the three-letter prefix is QUC) or call Blue Cross Blue Shield Global Core at (800) 810-BLUE (810-2583).