If you choose to enroll in medical coverage, your medical and behavioral health benefits are provided through the Anthem Blue Cross PPO (preferred provider organization). A PPO plan allows you to get care from any doctor, hospital or other provider you want. But you’ll usually pay less out of pocket when you see one of the more than 60,000 providers in the statewide Anthem Blue Cross Prudent Buyer (PPO) network. Other plan highlights:
- No-cost in-network preventive care for you and all enrolled family members through Anthem Blue Cross Prudent Buyer (PPO) providers. There’s no deductible or out-of-pocket cost for screenings and lab tests recommended by Anthem based on your age and gender.
- For other types of care, including doctors’ office visits, hospitalization, behavioral health services and prescription drugs, when you see an Anthem provider, you pay a deductible ($100 for self-coverage/$200 for family coverage) before the plan begins to share in the cost of covered services. There's no deductible for services received at a UCMC.
- Your medical plan includes behavioral health benefits for mental health services and substance abuse treatment. You and your covered family members can use behavioral health benefits for sessions with counselors, psychologists or psychiatrists to address issues such as:
- Depression and anxiety
- Alcohol or drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Medication management
- Autism and pervasive developmental disorders
- You’re protected for the worst-case scenario. The health plan protects your physical health. The out-of-pocket maximum protects your finances by limiting your financial liability for covered expenses.
- After you meet the out-of-pocket maximum amount ($1,000 for self-coverage/$2,000 for family—which includes the deductible), Anthem pays 100% for most covered services, including prescription drugs, for the remainder of the year. If you’re enrolled in family coverage, you must meet the family out-of-pocket maximum before Anthem will pay 100% of expenses.
- In-network expenses count toward meeting the out-of-network out-of-pocket maximum, but out-of-network expenses do not count toward meeting the in-network out-of-pocket maximum.
The Anthem Blue Cross PPO medical plan supports both physical and emotional wellness. Behavioral health benefits for residents and fellows and their enrolled dependents include counseling and treatment for:
- Personal and professional problems
- Substance use
- Eating disorders and more
Find a Behavioral Health Provider
Let Anthem Health Guide do the legwork for you. Their experts will help you navigate the confusing health care system so you get connected to the right care quickly.
What You Pay for In-Person Care
Outpatient therapy is covered the same as a doctor’s office visit. When you get care from UC Medical Center or Anthem providers, once you meet your deductible, the plan pays most of the cost and you pay a portion (a copayment).
PPO members have the option to see out-of-network providers. After you meet the out-of-network deductible, the plan will pay a portion of the cost of the visit, and you pay the rest (coinsurance), including any difference between the amount the plan reimburses for covered services—the allowable amount—and what an out-of-network provider chooses to charge.
Learn more about what you pay for care.
Residents and Fellows Assistance Programs
Free and confidential programs (employee assistance services) are available through UC at each UC location. View a list of services by location.
With LiveHealth Online Psychology, the therapist comes to you. Discuss sensitive topics with a therapist in the privacy and comfort of your own home (or other private location)—through online video or by phone.
Speak With a Counselor 24/7
The licensed clinicians at the Anthem Blue Cross Behavioral Health Resource Center can help with issues ranging from depression and eating disorders to substance misuse. Call (844) 792-5141. There is no cost to you for this service.