You are here


When You Can Enroll

New Residents: If you want medicaldental and/or vision coverage, or to enroll in a Flexible Spending Accountenroll within 31 days of your start date. Confirm your mailing address and your preferred email address are current to receive your ID card and new benefit information such as the new Ginger benefit is received. Benefits will become effective retroactively to your campus start date.

Current residents: You can make changes to your benefits during the annual open enrollment period in June. Any changes are effective July 1. Flexible Spending Account open enrollment will be held in November 2022.

You’re automatically enrolled in life, accident and long-term disability insurance.

How to Make Changes or Enroll

  1. Log in to PlanSource.
  2. Your temporary username is the first letter of your first name + the first 6 letters of your last name + the last 4 digits of your Social Security number. Example: Username for John Hancock (Social Security number is 123-45-6789) is: jhancoc6789. Your password is your birthdate (YYYYMMDD). You'll be prompted to change your temporary login and password following your initial log in.
  3. Current residents: Confirm your current benefits elections, update address, change dependent coverage or update beneficiaries.
  4. New residents: Enroll yourself and dependent(s) for coverage, add dependents, and update address and beneficiaries.
  5. ID cards: If you enroll in coverage for the first time, you'll receive a new ID card in the mail within 10 days of your effective date. Your effective date of coverage is your program start date. You can check PlanSource for your effective date if needed.

Who You Can Enroll

  • Yourself. Active residents or clinical fellows enrolled in the Graduate Medical Education (GME) Training program working at least 20 hours a week can enroll in the UC medical, dental, vision, life and disability plans.
  • Your spouse or domestic partner. You can enroll your spouse or domestic partner in medical, dental and vision coverage only. After you enroll, you’ll need to provide documentation to establish your domestic partner’s eligibility.
  • Your dependent children up to age 26. (A disabled child may be covered past age 26, with approval from the insurance carriers.) Dependent children include stepchildren, grandchildren, legal wards and your eligible domestic partner’s children or grandchildren (even if you do not enroll your domestic partner) who can be claimed as tax dependents by you, your spouse or your domestic partner. You can enroll your dependent children in medical, dental and vision coverage only.

If you cover a domestic partner, you may be responsible for imputed income. Learn more about how imputed income [PDF] works for domestic partner coverage.

Requirements for Domestic Partners

You won't need a declaration form or documentation to enroll initially, but you will be asked to submit additional information after enrollment.

Same-Gender and Opposite-Gender Domestic Partners Eligibility

Your partnership must meet one of the following definitions, as well as the benefit-specific requirements defined by the health and welfare regulations:

  • A domestic partnership registered with the state of California is a domestic partnership for UC Resident benefits eligibility purposes.
    • Same-gender domestic partners can register their domestic partnership with the state of California.
  • A domestic partnership formed in another jurisdiction which has requirements substantially equivalent to California’s requirements also qualifies as a domestic partnership. For health and welfare benefits eligibility purposes, it includes same-gender and opposite-gender domestic partnerships formed in another jurisdiction.
  • A partnership that has not been registered with the state can be considered a domestic partnership for UC Resident benefits eligibility purposes if it meets these requirements:
    • Parties must be each other’s sole domestic partner in a long-term, committed relationship and must intend to remain so indefinitely.
    • Neither party may be legally married or be a partner in another domestic partnership.
    • Parties must not be related to each other by blood to a degree that would prohibit legal marriage in the state of California. For example, not parents and children, brothers and sisters, half-brothers and half-sisters, uncles and aunts, nieces and nephews, or ancestors and descendants of every degree (this means grandparents and grandchildren, great-grandparents and great-grandchildren, etc.).
    • Both parties must be at least 18 years old and capable of consenting to the relationship.
    • Parties must be financially interdependent.
    • Parties must share a common residence.

Same-Gender and Opposite-Gender Domestic Partner Benefit-Specific Requirements

Requirements include one of the following:

  • Registered with the State of California (another valid jurisdiction);


  • Able to meet the above-mentioned requirements for a partnership that has not been registered, with appropriate supporting documentation upon request.

Supporting Documentation

You may be asked to provide documentation of your domestic partnership. Documentation includes one of the following:

  • State of California form NP/SF DP-1 (Declaration of Domestic Partnership); or
  • Proof of registration of partnership with other valid jurisdiction; or
  • At least two of the documents below:
    • Joint mortgage, joint property tax statement or joint tenancy on a residential lease
    • Joint bank account
    • Joint liabilities (e.g., credit card, home equity loan or car loan)
    • Joint ownership of significant property (e.g., a car or a house)
    • Durable property or health care power of attorney
    • Wills, life insurance policies or retirement annuities naming each other as primary beneficiary
    • Written agreement or contract showing mutual support obligation or joint ownership of assets acquired during the relationship
    • Copy of any declaration, affidavit or similar document filed with any other governmental entity
    • Joint utility bill
    • Joint property tax statement

Send your supporting document to your local Human Resources office.